Rupert Murdoch, the billionaire media tycoon, admitted that there had been a “cover-up” at defunct tabloid News of the World over phone hacking in London, but maintained on Thursday that neither he nor his son James knew about the extent of hacking.
Speaking to the Leveson Inquiry , Murdoch aimed blame at a number of subordinates for the cover-up, and made disparaging comments about several former News International editors who have criticized him.
There was more tension in the air than during Wednesday’s questioning, which many felt was rather a damp squib after the drama of Tuesday ’s revelations about the closeness of the current UK government to the Murdochs.
Murdoch told the inquiry into media ethics: “There is no question in my mind that maybe even the editor, but certainly beyond that, someone took charge of a cover-up which we were victim to and I regret.”
With wife Wendi and son Lachlan watching he said that he, his son James and other senior News Corp executives were “misinformed and shielded” about the extent of phone hacking at the tabloid. He also blamed “a clever lawyer” at News International for stopping people coming forward and admitted that the culture had left too much in the hands of the editor and lawyer.Page 1 of 4 | Next Page